Saturday, February 2, 2019

Testing a Hypothesis

The Who: Travelers that park at Airports and Tourists that need cars
The What: 1. They are overpaying for parking 2. They are overpaying for rental cars
The Why: The combination of both outbound travelers and inbound tourists, make it an ideal marketplace for an exchange of a person's car, to an affordable rental car for a tourist

Testing the Hypothesis:

First off, all of the people in my 'who', do not share this problem because they may be dropped off by a family member who will need the car while they are gone. Also, this would be a competition for Uber, which typically drives people to the airport. This fact means that people won't need to pay for parking from the beginning.

One of the boundaries for this solution is the current infrastructure for the car rental business. There is a huge industry already in place for this type of solution. In addition to this, there is a large number of legal fees and insurance papers behind this type of business. I am sure that there will be an insurance policy that will need to be in place in order to account for accidents with other people's cars.

One of the reasons that the "why" statement might be weak, is because some people won't trust other strangers using their cars and perhaps crashing it. Also, my why doesn't exactly apply for everyone since not everyone who goes to the airport will need a rental car.

4)
In my first interview, I was able to interview my father who is a frequent traveler to the airport. In his case, he gets the majority of his stay paid for and all of the transit fees are taken care of by the company. In this case, there will be a large chunk of my "target market" taken out since they won't be able to provide the company with a car.

I learned that I would have to overcome this hurdle by possibly creating a partnership with corporations so that all of their employees go directly through us for all of their travel. This would lead to all of those corporations to pay our company for their employees' travel.

My second interview was with my uncle who is an avid traveler. He saw a lot of utility in the hypothesis I proposed. He thought that there could be a collaboration with specific airlines so that there could be a predictable flow of cars into our airport office. For example, he thought that there could be an option to register their car at the end of purchasing their airline tickets. By doing that, they could know more about the service and our company could learn more about the availability of rental cars.

My last interview was with a fellow student of mine. When I first explained the concept to him, he sounded very confused and not quite sure what I was trying to do... At first, I thought he was just incompetent and not "business savvy" since he couldn't put 2 and 2 together. But after thinking about it further, I just realized that this type of concept might be hard to sell for the average American since some parts of the business model might be confusing.

I learned that this problem might be a roadblock from getting a sufficient amount of funding since investors will be confused or unsure of my intentions. However, most importnatnly, this service might be hard for the average consumer to understand so then they wont bother with it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment